We recommend the following guidelines for all applicants to the AMSC program:
- Complete application by January 10. Application reviews begin January 10, and
applications are given highest priority. Login to APRA early to see what application materials are
Note that it takes two weeks to process materials (transcripts,
etc.) sent to the university, and we recommend that you use package
tracking when sending your materials. All materials should be sent to:
Enrollment Services Office-Graduate Admissions
Room 0130 Mitchell Building
University of Maryland, College Park
College Park, MD 20742
- Get strong letters of recommendation in on time. Make sure your recommenders know
who you are. Have them submit letters by the recommended deadline of January 15. You can also let your
recommenders know that we prefer electronic submission, and letters submitted in PDF format.
- Make sure your general GRE quantitative scores are competitive. We recommend
applicants score at least a 750 on the general GRE quantitative section.
- Make sure your TOEFL scores are competitive. We recommend our international
applicants have a combined TOEFL score of at least 105.
- Upload admission materials in PDF format. PDF format is the recommended file format
for all admissions materials.
- Upload backups copies of your scores and transcripts. Things get lost in the mail
unfortunately. As a backup, you may upload scanned copies of your GRE scores, TOEFL scores, and transcripts
to section 6 of your ASF.
Use a descriptive file name. For example if your name is John Smith, use a file
name such as "transcript_SmithJohn.pdf". We recommend using PDF format for all uploaded files.
Note that we require official copies of your GRE scores, TOEFL scores, and transcripts be sent to UMD.
A scanned copy of your scores does not substitute for official copies. Your
application is not considered complete without these official copies.
- Read the FAQ before contacting the admissions office. Please consult the FAQ before
contacting the admissions office. We work hard to do our homework, and we expect you to do the same.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Application Form (APRA)
Summary of Advanced Technical Courses
Letters of Recommendation
General and Subject GRE
Advanced Special Student Admission
Transfer Between Graduate Programs