We recommend the following guidelines for all applicants to the AMSC program:
Note that it takes two weeks to process materials (transcripts, letters, etc.) sent to the university, and we recommend that you use package tracking when sending your materials.
- Complete the application by January 7th, 2020. Application reviews begin January 7, and complete applications are given highest priority. Login to Hobsons early to see what application materials are missing.
All materials should be uploaded with the online application. If necessary, application materials may be sent to:
Enrollment Services Office-Graduate Admissions
Room 0130 Mitchell Building
University of Maryland, College Park
College Park, MD 20742
- Get strong letters of recommendation in on time. Make sure your recommenders know who you are. Have them submit letters by the recommended deadline of January 7, 2020. You can also let your recommenders know that we prefer electronic submission, and letters submitted in PDF format.
- Make sure your general GRE quantitative scores are competitive. We recommend applicants score at least a 750 (159 on the GRE revised General Test) on the general GRE quantitative section.
- Make sure your TOEFL scores are competitive. We recommend our international applicants have a combined TOEFL score of at least 105 (IBT).
- Upload admission materials in PDF format. PDF format is the recommended file format for all admissions materials.
- Upload backups copies of your scores and transcripts. Things get lost in the mail, unfortunately. As a backup, you may upload scanned copies of your GRE scores, TOEFL scores, and transcripts to the Supporting Documents Upload section of your application.
Use a descriptive file name. For example if your name is John Smith, use a file name such as "transcript_SmithJohn.pdf". We recommend using PDF format for all uploaded files.
Note that we require official copies of your GRE scores, TOEFL scores, and transcripts to be sent to UMD. A scanned copy of your scores does not substitute for official copies. Your application is not considered complete without these official copies.
- Read the FAQ before contacting the admissions office. Please consult the FAQ before contacting the admissions office. We work hard to do our homework, and we expect you to do the same.